April 12, 2011

Trying something new

I went to Athens with my boyfriend this weekend and we had a wonderful time! We both have lots of friends there and it was so lovely to see everyone. I have some pictures that I'll post tomorrow, although not nearly as many as I wanted. We wanted to go to the new Acropolis Museum, but I have to admit that going out for coffees, drinks and dinner got in the way of sightseeing. At least we have a good excuse to go back soon!

I took two projects along for the trip. A sock and the shawl I'm designing. My boyfriend thought this was ambitious, but it's always better to have too much yarn than not enough! He was right though, of course, the shawl is still very small and I'm hoping to finish the first sock of my new pair today.

yarn

Πήγα στην Αθήνα το σαββατοκύριακο με το φίλο μου και περάσαμε υπέροχα! Έχουμε πολλούς φίλους εκεί και ήταν τόσο ωραία που τους είδαμε. Έχω μερικές φωτογραφίες και θα σας τις δείξω αύριο, αν και δεν είναι όσες ήθελα. Θέλαμε να πάμε στο καινούριο μουσείο της Ακρόπολης, αλλά παραδέχομαι ότι οι καφέδες, τα ποτά και οι ταβέρνες είχαν τελικά προτεραιότητα και δεν είδαμε τα αξιοθέατα που θέλαμε! Τουλάχιστον έχουμε καλή δικαιολογία να ξαναπάμε σύντομα!

Πήρα δύο πλεκτά μαζί μου στο ταξίδι. Μια κάλτσα και το σάλι που σχεδιάζω. Ο φίλος μου θεωρούσε ότι ήμουν αρκετά φιλόδοξη, αλλά πάντα είναι καλύτερο να έχεις περισσότερο νήμα παρά να μην φτάσει! Είχε δίκιο όμως, φυσικά, το σάλι είναι ακόμα αρκετά μικρό και ελπίζω να τελειώσω την πρώτη κάλτσα του ζευγαριού σήμερα.

yarn

My design inspiration came from some yarn. I got an amazing skein of Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 sock yarn over a year ago. The color is Apple Blossom and I love it so much, I couldn't decide what to do with it. I wanted to make a shawl, but I couldn't find a pattern I liked. It had to be just right for this perfect skein. I also thought a lot about whether I should use this yarn by itself or choose another skein, to get more yards and therefore, a bigger shawl.

My skein though has been begging to be knit, I keep looking at it and the colors are so pretty for spring. I'm going to combine it with a skein of Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in Geranium. I think the two yarns will go together very well, the weight is similar and they both have a lot of twist.

I'm really enjoying knitting with the Fleece Artist yarn, it looks amazing and the colors are really mixing together nicely. I tried to do all the calculations for the pattern on paper, but I realized that it's easier for me to have something that I can actually look at, so I'm making up the pattern as I knit. So far, it seems to be working!

yarn

Πήρα αυτό το φανταστικό, πολύχρωμο νήμα για κάλτσες πριν ένα χρόνο περίπου. Είναι νήμα για κάλτσες Fleece Artist Merino 2/6 και το χρώμα λέγεται Apple Blossom. Το λατρεύω τόσο πολύ, που δεν μπορούσα να αποφασίσω τι να πλέξω. Ήθελα να φτιάξω ένα σάλι αλλά δεν μπορούσα να βρω ένα σχέδιο που να μου αρέσει. Έπρεπε να είναι το τέλειο σχέδιο για αυτό το νήμα. Σκέφτηκα επίσης πολύ για το αν θα το χρησιμοποιούσα μόνο του ή αν θα έβαζα και άλλο χρώμα. Περισσότερο νήμα θα σήμαινε ότι θα μπορούσα να κάνω το σάλι μεγαλύτερο.

Το νήμα με παρακαλάει τόσο καιρό να το πλέξω. Το κοιτάζω συνέχεια και τα χρώματα είναι τόσο όμορφα για την άνοιξη. Θα χρησιμοποιήσω και μια μπάλα Madelinetosh Tosh Sock και αυτό νήμα για κάλτσες είναι, στο χρώμα Geranium. Νομίζω ότι τα δύο νήματα που διάλεξα ταιριάζουν ωραία μεταξύ τους, έχουν παρόμοιο πάχος και υφή.

Απολαμβάνω πολύ το πλέξιμο με το νήμα Fleece Artist, φαίνεται τέλειο και τα χρώματα ανακατεύονται πολύ ωραία. Προσπάθησα να κάνω όλους τους υπολογισμούς πριν ξεκινήσω, αλλά κατάλαβα ότι με βοηθάει πολύ να έχω κάτι που μπορώ να κοιτάξω, οπότε γράφω το σχέδιο ταυτόχρονα με το πλέξιμο. Μέχρι τώρα, προχωράει καλά!

7 comments:

  1. I love those colors. They are super springy XD. I would love to go to Greece, it always looks so pretty when I see pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teleio nima kai teleio SK, bravo sas!
    Na pate sto mouseio kai meta pes mas pos einai! Mono mi foras fousta afou oloi lene oti to patoma einai diafanes kai fainontai ola otan koitas apo kato pfff...
    Mouts liegiko
    Philhellene

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa! making up the pattern as you knit? that takes some brain power - you go, girl!

    And I love apple blossom too; aptly named. Fleece artist do come up with very interesting colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely yarn colours there. Designing your own pattern - wow!!! Can't wait to see progress shots

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE those colors. Can't wait to see the sock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your own pattern!! Woo hoo, sounds great. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apple blossom is beautiful!

    I tend to design as I go, too. It makes for a lot of ripping, but it really helps me to see the pattern emerging in real life, rather than my sketch and swatch.

    ReplyDelete