July 01, 2010

There's something wrong with my shawl

Sometimes projects just don't work out. I have quite a few of those lying around. They're still on the needles and I'm still undecided about what to do with them. For some, it's been a few months. Others, I haven't worked on them for over a year. They all have something wrong with them.

It's time to take action! I'm tired of thinking about them, worrying about what to do with them and poking myself when I reach into a bag and discover one of them still on the needles!

Here's the first one... My Mara shawl. According to my project notes on Ravelry, I started it on July 22, 2009. Ooops... It's a lovely pattern. I like the yarn too, MeriSeta by BBB Filati. It's a lovely merino / silk blend and the color is very pretty.

In a very satisfying and quick motion, I pulled it off the needles. What a wonderful feeling!

What was wrong with it? Well, I really tried to work on it and I picked it up again several times. It seems that when I'm stressed I'm a tight knitter (or tighter anyway) and other times, my knitting is very loose.

Here is the result...

knitting mistakes

Καμιά φορά τα πλεκτά απλά δεν προχωράνε. Έχω αρκετά τέτοια διάσπαρτα σε όλο το σπίτι. Είναι ακόμα στις βελόνες και εγώ είμαι ακόμα αναποφάσιστη για το τί να κάνω. Κάποια κάθονται μερικούς μήνες. Άλλα έχω να τα πλέξω πάνω από ένα χρόνο. Όλα έχουν κάποιο πρόβλημα.

Είναι ώρα για δράση! Βαρέθηκα να τα σκέφτομαι, να αγχώνομαι για το τι να κάνω και να με τσιμπάνε όταν βάζω το χέρι μου σε μια σακούλα και ανακαλύπτω ένα από αυτά (είπαμε, είναι ακόμα με τις βελόνες!).

Εδώ είναι το πρώτο... Το σάλι Mara. Σύμφωνα με τις σημειώσεις μου στο Ravelry, το ξεκίνησα στις 22 Ιουλίου 2009. Χμμμ... Είναι υπέροχο σχέδιο. Μου αρέσει και το νήμα, MeriSeta από την εταιρία BBB Filati. Είναι φανταστικό, μαλλί merino με μετάξι και το χρώμα είναι πολύ όμορφο.

Οπότε ποιο είναι το πρόβλημα; Προσπάθησα πολύ να το τελειώσω και το έπιασα πολλές φορές. Φαίνεται ότι όταν έχω άγχος πλέκω πιο σφιχτά και άλλες φορές πλέκω πολύ χαλαρά. Το αποτέλεσμα φαίνεται στην φωτογραφία.

knitting mistakes

It was almost finished. It's amazing really how I tricked myself into working on it, over and over again, even though it was clear there was a problem. I love being in denial!

Can you see how the fabric isn't flat? That's because my gauge was so loose, there's a lot of extra fabric in that part. In a different pattern, that might work. With Mara, it doesn't. There's another loose part, at the top. This project is a disaster!

I've decided to look at all my unfinished projects and make a decision: keep and finish or frog and use the yarn for something else. Anyone want to join me? I know you have some of these too!





















Είχα πλέξει σχεδόν ολόκληρο το σάλι. Είναι απίστευτο το πώς κατάφερα να κοροϊδέψω τον εαυτό μου να συνεχίσω το πλέξιμο, ξανά και ξανά, αν και ήξερα κατά βάθος ότι υπάρχει πρόβλημα. Μου αρέσει να αγνοώ προβλήματα!

Βλέπεται ότι το ύφασμα δεν είναι επίπεδο; Αυτό είναι επειδή έπλεκα πολύ χαλαρά, έχει παραπάνω ύφασμα σε αυτά τα σημεία. Με άλλο σχέδιο, ίσως και να μην ήταν πρόβλημα. Με το συγκεκριμένο όμως, δεν δείχνει ωραίο. Υπάρχει και άλλο χαλαρό σημείο, επάνω. Αυτό το πλεκτό είναι πραγματικά καταστροφή!

Αποφάσισα να κοιτάξω και τα άλλα πλεκτά μου και να πάρω μια απόφαση: να τα κρατήσω και να τα τελειώσω ή να τα ξηλώσω και να χρησιμοποιήσω το νήμα για κάτι άλλο. Θέλετε να συμμετέχετε και εσείς; Είμαι σίγουρη ότι έχετε τέτοια πλεκτά!

11 comments:

  1. I know how satisfying it can be to just pull out the needles, and either start over or just forget about it.
    Your Mara shawl might have worked out, because a bath and blocking does help with different tension, especially with garter stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wouldn't blocking have fixed that? I love the magic of blocking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monika thank you for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for the future!

    Sarah, unfortunately the loose section is too loose. I would have to stretch out the whole thing and I'm afraid the fabric wouldn't be very sturdy. It's a lot worse than it looks, it's like I went up two or three needle sizes :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, like Monika and Sarah, I'd still try a long bubbly bath and not necessarily wild blocking but drying it on a flat surface.
    Then if it is still horrible in your eyes, rip rip rip.
    Philhellene

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about denial. I plod along with some things thinking that they will be ok in the end and they never are. It is disappointing when you have put so much work in. On the plus side, you will now be able to start something else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the suggestions for blocking work out as that's a lot of knitting to frog.

    I really ought to go through all my half-baked projects, but I just don't want to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all for seeing what blocking will do. Lots of sts even out with blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so sad! The shawl looked really good in the pictures. I hope blocking worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least when you're done ripping it out you'll have lots of yarn for a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well? did you frog or block it? how do you like it now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Με την εξάσκηση όλα αυτά τα προβλήματα λύνονται. Εγώ έπλεκα "άνισα" τα πρώτα τρία τουλάχιστον χρόνια. Το κόλπο που βρήκα για να καλύπτω την αδυναμία μου ήταν να διαλέγω πλέξεις που έκρυβαν κάπως το πρόβλημα. Ξέρεις, κάποια εύκολη δαντέλα, κάποιο σχέδιο με τρυπούλες ή μόνο λάστιχο - ειδικά στο λάστιχο δε φαίνεται τίποτα. Όπως και να 'χει, όλα όσα φτιάχνεις είναι πολύ ενδιαφέροντα!

    ReplyDelete