January 12, 2012

Knitting for warm weather: shawls

I've been trying to plan my current and future knitting projects and I have a small problem. The things I want to make are not always the things I can wear in Greece. I know that there are a lot of patterns out there that I want to knit because I like the design, the use of color or the shape. But, I also want a few things that will be useful as well as pretty or just fun to knit.

Since I can't be the only knitter with this problem, I'll do a series of blog posts with some patterns that I think are greek summer friendly. Shawls and scarves have always been one of my favorite accessories, so I'll write about them first. I love how they can add color to an outfit and they're useful on chilly evenings. Knitting them in wool though means that they're pretty warm, even when I use thin yarns. I've been looking at patterns that have very open lace stitches and I'm pleased that there are quite a few available. The patterns listed in this post are all free; I'll do a separate post for some other patterns that are available for purchase.

The first pattern in my queue is the Foreign Correspondent's Scarf by Lexy Lu - I love the contrast of the lace with the solid stripes. I'll definitely knit this soon.

Another scarf I've wanted to knit for a long time is the Lace Ribbon Scarf from Knitty (Ravelry) by Veronik Avery. The lace pattern is so pretty.

The One Row Lace Scarf by Turvid is simple but lovely. It looks great in solid and variegated yarns.

The Jeweled Cowl by Sachiko Uemura is a very interesting design. It combines lace with stockinette stitch and beads to create a very pretty cowl.

Wisp from Knitty (Ravelry) by Cheryl Niameth, is another lovely pattern that also combines lace and solid stripes. 

A Purl Soho pattern, the Color Change Scarf (Ravelry) looks very light. It has just enough yarn to hold the whole thing together.

Most of these patterns would also look nice as a shawl and it's so easy to make a scarf wider. I'm always amazed by knitting, these patterns prove that even the most simple mesh pattern can be used in so many ways!

yarn

Προσπαθώ να προγραμματίσω τα πλεκτά μου, αυτά που πλέκω τώρα και αυτά που θέλω να ξεκινήσω αργότερα, και έχω ένα μικρό πρόβλημα. Τα πράγματα που θέλω να φτιάξω δεν είναι πάντα αυτά που μπορώ να φορέσω, λόγω του καιρού. Ξέρω ότι υπάρχουν πολλά σχέδια που θέλω να πλέξω επειδή μου αρέσει το σχέδιο, ο συνδυασμός χρωμάτων ή το σχήμα. Όμως, θέλω και μερικά πλεκτά που ξέρω ότι θα είναι χρήσιμα και όχι μόνο όμορφα ή διασκεδαστικά όταν το πλέκω.

Επειδή σίγουρα δεν είμαι η μόνη με αυτό το πρόβλημα, σκέφτηκα να κάνω μια σειρά από αναρτήσεις με μερικά σχέδια που νομίζω ότι μπορούν να φορεθούν και το καλοκαίρι. Τα κασκόλ και τα φουλάρια ήταν πάντα ένα από τα αγαπημένα μου αξεσουάρ, οπότε θα ξεκινήσω με αυτά. Λατρεύω πώς μπορούν να δώσουν χρώμα και είναι χρήσιμα όταν έχει δροσιά το βράδυ. Όμως, το να τα πλέκω με μαλλί σημαίνει ότι είναι αρκετά ζεστά, ακόμα και όταν χρησιμοποιώ λεπτά νήματα. Έτσι, έψαξα για σχέδια που έχουν πολύ ανοιχτή δαντέλα. Τα σχέδια σε αυτή την ανάρτηση είναι όλα δωρεάν, θα γράψω ξεχωριστά για τα σχέδια που πωλούνται.

Το πρώτο σχέδιο είναι το κασκόλ Foreign Correspondent's Scarf της Lexy Lu - λατρεύω την αντίθεση της δαντέλας με τις πιο σκούρες ρίγες. Σίγουρα θα το πλέξω σύντομα.

Ένα άλλο κασκόλ που θέλω να πλέξω εδώ και πολύ καιρό είναι το Lace Ribbon Scarf από το Knitty (Ravelry) της Veronik Avery. Η δαντέλα είναι τόσο όμορφη.

Το One Row Lace Scarf της Turvid είναι απλό αλλά πολύ όμορφο. Δείχνει ωραία και με μονόχρωμα νήματα καθώς και με πολύχρωμα.

Το Jeweled Cowl της Sachiko Uemura είναι ένα πολύ ενδιαφέρον σχέδιο. Συνδυάζει τη δαντέλα με μια απλή πλέξη και χάντρες και δημιουργεί ένα πολύ όμορφο κυκλικό κασκόλ.

Το Wisp από το Knitty (Ravelry), της Cheryl Niameth, είναι άλλο ένα υπέροχο σχέδιο που συνδυάζει τη δαντέλα με ρίγες από μια άλλη πλέξη. 

Ένα σχέδιο από το Purl Soho, το κασκόλ Color Change Scarf (Ravelry) φαίνεται πολύ ελαφρύ. Έχει μόνο τόσο νήμα όσο χρειάζεται για να το κρατάει.

Τα περισσότερα από αυτά τα σχέδια θα έδειχναν ωραία και σε σάλι - είναι τόσο εύκολο να γίνει ένα κασκόλ λίγο πιο φαρδύ. Το πλέξιμο πάντα με εντυπωσιάζει, αυτά τα σχέδια δείχνουν ότι ακόμα και μια απλή πλέξη που μοιάζει με δίχτυ μπορεί να χρησιμοποιηθεί με τόσους πολλούς τρόπους!

3 comments:

  1. I've knit both Wisp and Jeweled Cowl and can tell that they are fun to knit and very nice to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being a resident of florida, usa, i totally understand the importance of finding warm weather knit items!

    two of the patterns on your list are in my ravelry queue, and i'll definitely be taking a look at the others. thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also appreciate lacey shawls that I can use in my tropical home. Thanks for the links to so many lovely shawls!

    ReplyDelete