May 10, 2011

Don't graft after midnight

I'm almost finished with my lace and stripes scarf but I made a silly mistake and now I'm mad at myself. I was grafting the second edging to the scarf, late last night. Getting closer to the end, I counted the stitches on both needles. One needle has an extra stitch. Or, one needle is missing a stitch. I looked for it and found a weird little half stitch loop thingy.

lace and stripes scarf

Grafting isn't fast but unpicking the grafted stitches and putting them back on the needles, when you also have loose stitches from lace YOs, is very slow and not fun at all. I've learned my lesson - I'll do the tricky bits in the morning from now on!

Looking on the bright side of this mistake, I have now figured out how to un-graft stitches. It's basically just grafting in reverse, with a lot of frustration, swearing and pulling the stitches and poking around with the needle. Also, did I mention the scarf is almost done? And I have almost half a skein of each color left over - they're going to be part of a stripey leftover cardigan I'm thinking of making.

lace and stripes scarf

Έχω σχεδόν τελειώσει το κασκόλ με τις ρίγες και την δαντέλα αλλά έκανα ένα χαζό λάθος και τώρα έχω θυμώσει με τον εαυτό μου! Έραβα (με την τεχνική που κλείνουμε τις κάλτσες) το δεύτερο κομμάτι της δαντέλας στο κασκόλ. Καθώς πλησίαζα στο τέλος της σειράς, μέτρησα τους πόντους στις βελόνες. Μια βελόνα έχει έναν πόντο παραπάνω. Ή μια βελόνα έχει έναν πόντο λιγότερο. Έψαξα τον πόντο που λείπει, μια και αυτή η τεχνική προϋποθέτει ίδια αριθμό πόντων από κάθε μεριά, και βρήκα ένα περιέργο πράγμα, σαν μισός πόντος φαίνεται.

Η διαδικασία από μόνη της δεν είναι πολύ γρήγορη, αλλά το να ξεπλέξω έναν έναν τους πόντους, ειδικά τώρα που έχω από κάτω τη δαντέλα, δεν θα είναι καθόλου διασκεδαστικό! Πάντως έμαθα και από δω και πέρα, τέτοια πράγματα θα τα κάνω πρωί και όχι όταν ξενυχτάω το βράδυ!

Προσπαθώντας να βρω κάτι θετικό στην κατάσταση, έχω βρει τον τρόπο να ξεπλέκω αυτούς τους πόντους. Είναι ακριβώς η ίδια διαδικασία, αλλά αντίστροφα. Συνοδεύεται από εκνευρισμό, μερικές βρισιές, τράβηγμα των πόντων και γενικά εξερεύνηση του πλεκτού με τη βελόνα. Επίσης, σας είπα ότι το κασκόλ είναι σχεδόν έτοιμο; Και μου περίσσεψε και σχεδόν μισή μπάλα από κάθε χρώμα. Ίσως τα βάλω σε ένα ριγέ ζακετάκι που σκέφτομαι να φτιάξω.

Que Sera

I'm going to work on my Que Sera cardigan today, the best cure for a frustrating knitting problem is a project that's working! I'm making progress with my cardigan and I love the yarn. I'm also having so much fun with the KAL we're doing with Mooncalf. She's knitting with Rowan All Seasons Cotton and her cardigan looks lovely!

Σήμερα θα πλέξω το ζακετάκι Que Sera. Το καλύτερο αντίδοτο για ένα εκνευριστικό πλεκτό είναι ένα άλλο που προχωράει καλά! Μου αρέσει πολύ το νήμα και είναι διασκεδαστικό πλεκτό, γιατί το πλέκουμε μαζί με την Mooncalf. Το πλέκει με νήμα Rowan All Seasons Cotton και το ζακετάκι της φαίνεται πολύ όμορφο!

6 comments:

  1. I learned quite a while ago that most things in knitting should be left alone after midnight... :) Glad you managed to fix it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't do anything at all important after 9pm, never mind midnight!

    Your cardigan is looking ace - I think we're knitting at a similar speed.

    I like the idea of your leftovers cardi - you can't waste a bit of that lovely yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. After a certain hour, I just can't do anything except perhaps basic stockinette. your photos are always so lovely and I'm continually impressed with how quickly you turn out projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. With the knitting and the tinking. Well done!
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sucks, but at least the scarf is definitely looking lovely! :)

    I also really like the color of your Que Sera. Can't wait to see the FO.

    Lina
    photoknitdog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops! At least you were able to fix it. Another cardigan in the works? You are a busy knitter.

    ReplyDelete