March 21, 2012

Travelling tips for knitters

I went to Athens for a few days with my boyfriend. Six hours on the train is a lot, so knitting was definitely on my mind while I was packing. I needed something complicated for the train. But I also needed a simple project for the days we would spend in Athens. I couldn't decide on a project, even though I thought a shawl in laceweight was probably a good idea. The day before we left, late at night, still packing and with the train leaving early in the morning, I found myself looking desperately at sock patterns on Ravelry. This is of course the worse time to be a desperate knitter.

yarn

- Choose your vacation projects in advance. If you're like me and get all stressed out, take an extra project along. I ended up with a shawl and two sock yarns.

- If your yarn is in a skein, don't wind it before you leave. I spent a happy half hour on the train winding my yarn into a ball.

- Forgetting how to count when you cast on and then leaving a very short tail and repeating these mistakes over and over again, means that you get to spend another half hour, before you actually start knitting your sock. When you finally get it right, you'll realize this is also a good time for a snack and a coffee.

on the train to Athens

- All that time on the train will give you the feeling that you can easily knit three projects in five days. It doesn't matter that those projects usually take at least three weeks. This is a vacation with plenty of time for knitting! Spend some time taking blurry pictures of the mountains with your new camera.

- A few rows of ribbing and suddenly it's time for lunch! You realize that all that knitting time is quickly running out and you've managed to knit about 20 rows in six hours. At least it's a start!

We had a wonderful time in Athens and saw lots of our friends. We had coffee with Maria, visited some yarn stores and had a lot of food; it was great!

food in Greece :D

I knit a few rows while we were there. On our way back to Thessaloniki on Monday, I took some pictures of my sock on the train. As expected, I had just made it past the heel. On the first sock. And that's all I knit, I didn't work on the other projects at all. And I decided to make these socks short, so there wasn't that much to knit before the heel anyway.

- When you go on vacation, take a lot less knitting than you think you'll need.

falling leaves sock

The pattern is Falling Leaves knit with Laughing Yaffle sock yarn.

//

Συμβουλές για ταξίδι

Πήγα στην Αθήνα για μερικές μέρες με το φίλο μου. Έξι ώρες στο τρένο είναι πολλές, οπότε το πλέξιμο ήταν βασικό όταν μάζευα τα πράγματα που θα πάρω μαζί μου. Χρειαζόμουν κάτι περίπλοκο για το τρένο. Αλλά ήθελα επίσης και κάτι απλό για τις μέρες που θα είμασταν στην Αθήνα. Δεν μπορούσα να διαλέξω όμως, παρόλο που νόμιζα ότι ένα σάλι με νήμα για δαντέλα ήταν μάλλον καλή ιδέα. Την μέρα πριν φύγουμε, αργά το βράδυ, έφτιαχνα ακόμα τα πράγματά μου και με το τρένο να φεύγει νωρίς το πρωί, κατέληξα να κοιτάζω απελπισμένα για σχέδια για κάλτσες στο Ravelry. Αυτή είναι φυσικά η χειρότερη ώρα να είμαι μια απελπισμένη πλέκτρια.

- Διάλεξε τα πλεκτά για το ταξίδι έγκαιρα. Αν και εσύ αγχώνεσαι πολύ, πάρε ένα επιπλέον πλεκτό μαζί σου. Εγώ τελικά πήρα ένα σάλι και δύο νήματα για κάλτσες.

- Αν το νήμα σου δεν είναι σε μπάλα, μην το πειράξεις πριν φύγεις. Πέρασα ένα ευχάριστο μισάωρο τυλίγοντας το νήμα μου σε μπαλίτσα.

- Αν ξεχάσεις να μετράς και μετά αφήσεις πολύ μικρή ουρά όταν ρίχνεις τους πόντους και μετά επαναλάβεις αυτά τα λάθη, μπορείς να περάσεις άλλη μισή ώρα, πριν αρχίσεις να πλέκεις την κάλτσα σου. Όταν επιτέλους το πετύχεις, θα δεις ότι είναι επίσης καλή ώρα για να τσιμπίσεις κάτι και να πιεις ένα καφεδάκι.

Athens

- Όλος ο χρόνος στο τρένο θα σου δημιουργήσει την εντύπωση ότι μπορείς εύκολα να πλέξεις τρία πλεκτά σε πέντε μέρες. Δεν πειράζει καθόλου που συνήθως αυτά τα πλεκτά θα σου έπαιρναν τουλάχιστον τρεις εβδομάδες. Πας διακοπές και έχεις μπόλικο χρόνο για πλέξιμο! Είναι καλή ώρα να βγάλεις μερικές θολές φωτογραφίες τα βουνά με την καινούρια σου μηχανή.

- Μερικές σειρές λάστιχο και ξαφνικά είναι ώρα για μεσημεριανό! Συνειδητοποιείς ότι ο χρόνος για το πλέξιμο τελείωνει γρήγορα και έχεις πλέξει μόνο είκοσι σειρές σε έξι ώρες. Κάτι είναι και αυτό όμως!

Περάσαμε τέλεια στην Αθήνα και είδαμε πολλούς φίλους. Πήγαμε για καφέ με τη Μαρία, πήγαμε και βόλτα σε μαγαζιά με νήματα και γενικά, φάγαμε πολύ! Ήταν όλα τέλεια!

Έπλεξα λίγο όταν είμασταν εκεί. Τη Δευτέρα στο τρένο, που γυρνούσαμε, έβγαλα μερικές φωτογραφίες την κάλτσα μου. Όπως ήταν αναμενόμενο, μόλις είχα περάσει τη φτέρνα. Στην πρώτη κάλτσα. Και μόνο αυτό έπλεξα, δεν ασχολήθηκα καθόλου με τα άλλα πλεκτά. Και αποφάσισα να κάνω αυτές τις κάλτσες πιο κοντές, οπότε δεν είχαν και ιδιαίτερο πλέξιμο μέχρι τη φτέρνα.

- Όταν πας ταξίδι, πάρε λιγότερα πλεκτά από όσα νομίζεις ότι θα χρειαστείς.

Το σχέδιο στις κάλτσες είναι το Falling Leaves με νήμα Laughing Yaffle.

Athens

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advice! I'll try to remember that tomorrow (packing for Friday).
    Philhellene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, pack far too many projects when we travel...but that's more due to my inability to concentrate on one project at a time than over-thinking my knitting (there's a reason I have several works-in-progress).

    I try to keep it light. Really. It just doesn't work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Απολαυσα τον καφε μαζι σας οσο δεν φανταζεσαι.
    Χαρηκα πολυ που σας ξανα ειδα υστερα απο εναν χρονο και ευχομαι τα ταξιδια σας να ειναι πιο συντομα και να σας βλεπω περισσοτερο.
    Τα χρωματα στην καλτσα σου με τρελαινουν.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a great start on your sock! I always pack way too many projects too. Athens looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading your post, really funny especially because I also go through the same ... desperately looking for a pattern to knit when I should be packing, bringing way more projects than I need to. Glad you had fun on your trip. Athens looks amazing. I hope to go there some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I travel, my book packing is a lot like my knit packing: overly ambitious but oh so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Πρόσφατα έφυγα και γω με τον άντρα μου. Πριν φύγουμε μου είπε:' δεν νομίζω να πάρεις μαζί σου βελόνες" και δεν πήρα! Και πολύ καλά έκανα! Το ταξίδι είναι ταξίδι! (αν και σε πολυημερες εκδρομές κουβαλάω ....την Αρτα και τα Γιαννενα!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm familiar with bringing too much/ to many projects along. This year however it was pretty accurate. So many great dock patterns,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the post, except that you make me want to take a train trip even more than I already did! Mine would be down the coast to San Francisco (with the Fred, of course). Maybe soon! And then I will take all your excellent advice with me on the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete