January 06, 2010

A knitting schedule

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to not cast on many projects at the same time. I've been guilty of this in the past and the result is many unfinished projects all around the house. This has got to stop. I also want to finish or frog those projects. Big plans for the new year indeed!

So, I feel a little guilty about the two new socks I'm working on, both started on January 1st. I do have a really really good reason for this though:

The first one is the Regia sock I have already shown you. Progress is slow, because the colors are dark. Sure, it has some light blue stripes but it also has a blue and a green that are almost black. I can only work on this in the morning with good natural light. It became my morning sock.

Here's what I have done since Friday...

sock


Ένας από τους στόχους μου για τη νέα χρονιά είναι να μην ξεκινάω πολλά πλεκτά ταυτόχρονα. Το έχω κάνει αρκετές φορές στο παρελθόν και το αποτέλεσμα είναι πολλά μισοτελειωμένα πλεκτά διασκορπισμένα σε όλο το σπίτι. Πρέπει να σταματήσει αυτό. Επίσης, θέλω αυτά τα πλεκτά είτε να τα τελειώσω ή να τα ξηλώσω. Έχω μεγάλα σχέδια για τη νέα χρονιά!

Έτσι, νιώθω λίγο ένοχη για τις δυο καινούριες κάλτσες που πλέκω, και τις δύο τις ξεκίνησα την Πρωτοχρονιά. Έχω όμως έναν πολύ καλό λόγο...

Η πρώτη είναι αυτή με το νήμα Regia που σας έχω δείξει. Προχωράει αργά, επειδή τα χρώματα είναι πολύ σκούρα. Σίγουρα, έχει μερικές γαλάζιες ρίγες αλλά έχει επίσης και ένα πολύ σκούρο μπλε και πράσινο, που φαίνονται σχεδόν μαύρα. Αυτό έχει ως συνέπεια να μπορώ να την πλέκω μόνο το πρωί με καλό φυσικό φως. Είναι λοιπόν η πρωινή μου κάλτσα και στη φωτογραφία μπορείτε να δείτε πόσο έχω πλέξει από την Παρασκευή.

sock

Clearly I needed an evening sock as well. I'm studying almost all day for my end of semester exams and it's bad enough studying in the night with artificial light. Knitting dark colors at night too? It would be too much for my poor eyes!

I looked at my sock yarn stash and chose the lightest color I had: the Snowberry colorway from Laughing Yaffle. The yarn is gorgeous and the color repeats are small and random. I knew what this yarn wanted to be. It almost screamed "make me into a monkey sock!".

So I did.

monkey sock

An interesting observation is that I'm obviously knitting more at night than during the day. Although, it gets dark before 5 so really the "night" includes the afternoon as well.

I do think that this really is a good excuse to break my new year's resolution so soon, don't you agree? And I will only have one morning sock and one evening sock on the needles at a time ;)

monkey sock

Προφανώς χρειαζόμουν και μια βραδινή κάλτσα. Διαβάζω σχεδόν όλη μέρα για την εξεταστική και δεν φτάνει που διαβάζω και βράδυ. Να πλέκω σκούρα χρώματα το βράδυ; Τα ματάκια μου δεν θα το αντέξουν!

Κοίταξα τα νήματα για κάλτσες που έχω και διάλεξα το πιο ανοιχτόχρωμο που βρήκα: το Snowberry από την Laughing Yaffle. Το νήμα είναι υπέροχο και τα χρώματα είναι ανακατεμένα στο νήμα. Ήξερα τι κάλτσα ήθελε να γίνει αυτό το νήμα. Σχεδόν μου φώναζε, κάνε με κάλτσα monkey!

Και αυτό το σχέδιο έπλεξα.

Είναι ενδιαφέρον ότι προφανώς πλέκω πιο πολύ το βράδυ από ότι το πρωί. Βέβαια, αφού νυχτώνει πριν τις 5, το βράδυ περιλαμβάνει και το απόγευμα.

Νομίζω ότι αυτή είναι μια καλή δικαιολογία για να χαλάσω από τώρα την απόφαση που πήρα, δεν συμφωνείτε; Και υπόσχομαι να έχω μόνο μια πρωινή και μια βραδινή κάλτσα στις βελόνες τη φορά!

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree!

    That is one of the cutest monkey socks I've seen. What a fun colorway!

    I should try not to cast on so many items, but I love that casting-on high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that is the prettiest Monkey sock I've ever seen! I think I need to make another pair of Monkey's, I've worn holes in my first pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Παντως εμενα μου αρεσουν πολυ τα χρωματα της σκουρας καλτσας.
    Περνα να παρεις το δωρακι σου.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Και η πρωινη αλλα και η βραδυνη ειναι κουκλες.Καθε μια με τη χαρη της.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you've broken your resolution at all. And that is a gorgeous color for your Monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pink monkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both lovely! I can't comment on the not-casting on part as I have the same resolution for January (no casting on until all my WIPs are finished) but at least you picked good projects. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice socks, both of them! And there can’t be anything wrong with having something to knit for any occation – like a take-away-project, something large you can only knit at home on, something for the good light, something for bad light, something on tiny needles, something on big needles for when your wrists are tired from knitting on tiny needles, something mindless for watching tv or reading, something you really have to concentrate on for when you need to relax your thoughts from everyday sorrows… Just think of finishing something from time to time – you wanna wear it in the end, don’t you. On the other hand, I also knit for the process of knitting, not only to have the finished object. So keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete